Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Our first Easter Egg Hunt

We can't do this for very long now before they rip them cute ears off their heads when they grow older..and wiser.
The 'paparazzi' continues. Linus will be so pleased to know Mommy was taking pleasure in how awfully cute he looks.

Big brother wants a part of the attention and joins the stars on the couch.

Kids with their loot. Thank you to the Vans and Tansumas for all the treats!
Yes I have not gone on an egg hunt. Ever. Not even as a child as far as I can remember. The big question is, why the rabbit/hare and what is this whole fuss about the eggs at Easter? Apparently there is a reason why and I didn't know. But I do now, at the ripe old age of 31. If you are interested to know why, see the bottom of this post.
We were invited to the Van's for Easter Egg Hunt + Afternoon Tea. Great fun, and I also learnt something else that day. 'Silly Putty' - did you know? Apparently I have been living in a shell.

Rabbits and eggs are both symbols of the fertility goddess Eostre/Ishtar/Ostara. Eggs also symbolize the moon and are the ultimate symbol of creation and new life. The basket is a symbol of the womb in which this new life is carried. The feast day is pagan and was widely celebrated way before the time of Jesus. The purpose is to celebrate new life and the hope of continuance, Christian symbols of a Resurrection day and the old pagan symbols mean the same thing.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

The babyhood sweet hearts. So cute

elisa said...

thanks for finding out the answers. will pass on to Des.

Dot said...

Whoa. I did not know that.

I always thought it was invented by Hallmark.

Serene said...

I had the exact same question too! Now I know.