

I am trying not to panic. Much as I know it, read about it, and heard about it from friends that it is OK if your toddler is not interested in food for a while. But how long is too long for that 'little while'. Lucas has been going on yoghurt, milk, the occasional grapes, and very little of porridge/noodles/cereal. He is even refusing bananas which used to be his favourite. I am trying to give him what we eat but he is not interested. I was taking it easy for the first couple of days but it is coming to a week and I am terrified he is going to lose more of whatever is left of his chubbs. Although...it seems babies have an innate ability to know how much to eat and he will probably eat when he is hungry, but I am really hoping he will start to welcome the spoonful of food with an eager, open mouth again...soon.
Is he becoming a faddy eater, having sore gums from teething or just going through a toddler phase? I really hope it is the latter.



4 comments:
I heard that this happens. One day they love banana, the next they don't even want any. I believe ava was this way too, there're snacks she used to love, but suddenly, she doesn't want them anymore.. then, after awhile, she will eat them again. So don't worry about it.. :)
CY is a lousy eater and has been all this while. You have probably read up quite a bit but anywhere here are some tips I find useful:
1. Involve him in making the food
2. Give him a choice of A or B - allows him to assert his independence. (he may or may not be ready)
3. No snack within an hour before mealtime
4. No water or soup during the meal
5. Take him for a walk or some physical activity
Sometimes none of the tricks work. Sometimes as mothers, we just have to take a deep breath and relax. Or maybe his molar is pushing out!
Whatever it is, I tell myself that the experts know what they are talking about when they say no kid would choose not to eat and go hungry.
Well. I talk to her about the importance of eating properly, and go ballistic on the rare occasion which which reminds her I'm serious about her eating right. They do get fixated on certain foods sometimes and eat it for days before suddenly rejecting them. I rotate her foods, and let her decide if she's had enough. Of course, this is balanced against my mental calculator that keeps track of what she's eaten/drunk since getting home from playgroup. One thing that was reinforced through the process was not to turn food into an emotional tool.
thanks everyone for your advice and tips! Lucas seems like he is slowly getting back to eating, but not as much as he used to when he was younger..i guess that just is part of growing up..there are just more distractions and other things he would rather be doing..like chasing Abby.
Post a Comment